Social Icons

Friday, December 7, 2012

The Ant and the Elephant - Book Review


The Ant and the Elephant was a very interesting look into my personal view of things.  I’ve found that I have a lot to learn about myself - however, in the process of reading this book, I’ve made leaps and bounds in addressing my elephant.

Adir the Ant is representative of our Intentional, Critical and Analytic side.  He works hard and knows where he wants to go and what he needs to do to get there.

Elgo the Elephant is representative of our Impulsive side.  He is Instinctual and Emotional and feel comfortable within “the box”.

In the beginning there’s a huge storm and Adir is thrown from his colony and left alone in a land where he recognizes nothing.  I believe that sometimes our ant sometimes needs a quick, swift kick to get it going.  There is sometimes a JOLT that gets our Ant to recognize that he needs to rely on the Elephant.  That’s just what happens to Adir.

Adir finds out that he is riding on the back of Elgo - and has been throughout his entire life.  Adir is told by the wise owl that he cannot control the elephant to go where he wants him to, but he can help inspire “his” elephant and can communicate with him.

Elgo sticks to the path - he does what he’s always done - but dreams of the far away oasis.  He just doesn’t know how to get there.  Through the book, Adir learns to communicate with Elgo and help him realize when he’s heading in the right direction to reach their now collective goal.

Elgo learns from Adir, but has a strong memory.  It’s hard for him to change his course.  Our emotions drive us.

As I’ve spent time pondering about what drives me, what gives me an “elephant buzz”, I’ve found that I’m not exactly where I want to be.  I get excited when I work with people and help them to change their lives.  I also love to invent and create.  Am I happy where I am?  Yes.  Do I know there’s more out there… my oasis?  Absolutely.  So while I’m happy where I am, I recognize where I want to go and how to inspire my elephant to get there.

One of the hardest things for me, like Adir, is to recognize that change in gradual.  It’s not a quick fix.  It takes dedication to learn how to talk to your elephant… how to inspire him.  There are certain “golden spots” that trigger our emotions - that get us excited.  It’s essential that I seek those things.  I need to focus now.  I need to be grateful.  I need to experience.

The Ant and the Elephant has inspired me with several quotes:

“Life should be a fulfilling journey, not just a struggle to survive.”

“Life is tough, even when it doesn’t have to be.”

“Before you can become a great leader to others, you first must understand yourself.”

“Without conflict there is no growth, and the most challenging conflict is within ourselves.”

“We live in a world of instant gratification, but we need to fight that pressure and remember that the worthiest goals take time and energy.”

“Gratitude is the magic ingredient in the recipe for a fulfilling life.”

“The chain of negativity is a pattern.”

“As you learn to recognize negative patterns, you will interrupt them earlier and earlier.”

“Being committed to a task means, in effect, being committed to the process of commitment.”

“Extraordinary steps produce extraordinary results.”

What do these mean to you? Maybe it’s time that we teach our ants how to talk with our elephants and guide them to our personal oasis.  Find out who you are and what drives you by reading this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment