Social Icons

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Solve the Viral Math-Related Problem

You may have heard of this by now - maybe not.  YouTube channel Veritasium has posted a new video that at time of publish had 850,000+ views.  In it, a question is posed to strangers - essentially, I give you 3 numbers - 2, 4, 8 - and you give me three numbers back.  I'll tell you then whether those numbers follow my rule.  You then tell me what the rule is.

Watch below, keep in mind what numbers you selected and whether you guessed the rule before the end of the video.




Watching the video, I sought out numbers like 16, 32, 64; or 1, 5, 9; or -32, -6, -1.  I didn't get to test my theory, but it was interesting nonetheless.

Have you read The Black Swan?  I haven't, but it sounds interesting.  Break the rules as you seek to break software.  Seek out the negative.  This is "much more informational for you than the yes."

Comment below on your experience

2 comments:

  1. Ah, the good old confirmation bias. It's so easy to fall into these things.

    ReplyDelete